I recently began working from home and I am aware that managing time wisely can be one of the most difficult things to do when working from home. Here are a few tips that I have picked up.
1. Use Sticky Notes or another type of note-taking software. These come in extremely handy because you can take quick notes while on a phone call, create lists of projects that you are working on, or even keep track of due dates.
2. Create folders in your e-mail and keep your e-mail organized. I recommend creating folders for each client if you can.
3. At the beginning of each day, plan out your day. Keep a list of daily goals and schedule out your time.
4. Create a work hours schedule and stick to it. If you were going to work in an office, you (normally) would have set hours for being at work. Do the same when working out of your home office. Doing this will allow you to focus on work during "work hours," but also will make it so you have family/social/fun time.
5. If at all possible, set up a home office to avoid distractions.
6. Work on one project at a time.
7. Get out of the house at least once per day. When working from home, you may start to feel lonely and isolated. Make sure that during off-hours you get outside, visit friends, just get away from the house. You'll feel much better.
I hope these tips help you. Good luck and God bless.
Victoria (Tori) is a freelance graphic designer located just outside of St. Louis, Mo.