The website design process can seem overwhelming at first, but it doesn't have to be. Below is a checklist/timeline of the entire process. Items 1-3 must be done before the website can be designed.
1. Domain & Web Hosting: The first thing you will have to do is register a domain name (URL/Web Address), and then purchase web hosting. Your domain is the address in which people will be able to visit your website, (example: vbraswell.com). You must purchase web hosting as well. This is where your website files are stored. There are a ton of options to choose from, but below are a couple sites that you can choose from. Keep in mind that a lot of providers will provide domains and web hosting in one package. This is usually the best & cheapest option.
Make sure to write down ALL LOGIN information (username, password), and store in a secure place. Once you have chosen a provider and purchased the domain and hosting, please forward/e-mail this information to email@example.com. We will need this information to work on your website. Once the website is complete, you may go ahead and change passwords.
2. Website Consultation: I provide a free 30 minute consultation to help you decide what kind of website you/your business needs. I prefer to do this consultation via Skype, but I am also able to meet in person for local clients.
3. Website Type: Once I have all necessary information about you/your business, and what the purpose of your website is going to be, I will recommend one of the following:
Normally, I tend to favor Wordpress for most projects.
4. Look & Feel: Next, we will choose the theme for your website, or I will begin coding a custom layout for you. Premade Wordpress & Weebly themes are available. A lot of them are free, some you can purchase. If we are creating a custom website from scratch (HTML/CSS), this process can take quite a bit longer.
5. Content/Data Entry: Once the layout is complete, we will add all content (text, images, video, etc).
6. Testing & Finish: Once all of the content is added, we will run a test on your new website to make sure that everything is functional and looks exactly how it should, across many different devices. Once the test is complete, and the final payment is made in full, your website will be complete.
Thanks for choosing VHBraswell Graphic Design for your website design needs.
Victoria (Tori) is a freelance graphic designer located just outside of St. Louis, Mo.